Are You Being Abused?
Does your partner
- Insult you, put you down or call you names?
- Control where you go, what you wear, who you socialize with?
- Accuse you of cheating, constantly jealous?
- Pressure you or force you to have sex?
- Control all the money, check your bills to make sure how much you spent?
- Forbid you from seeing your family and your friends?
- Hurt your pets or break precious belongings to hurt you?
- Threaten to have you deported?
- Punch holes in the walls and say you will be next, push you, shove you, hit you? Threaten to kill himself if you ever left him?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are being abused.
Abuse hurts even if the damage is not physical. It can make you feel worthless. And, it can make you feel constantly afraid. You may feel like you are “walking on eggshells” because you never know when his next explosion will be.
Need to talk to someone safe? Call us any time at 905-684-8331.
Are you In Danger?
We know that leaving a relationship can be a very, very hard decision, but we also know that he abuses you because he wants to have power over you, to control you. Many women stay because they hope the abuse will end, it won’t. In fact, unless the cycle of abuse is broken, the violence is likely to happen more often and get worse.
We also know there are warning signs that often signal significant danger. Read through the warning signs below. If you feel that several of these signs apply in your situation, please call us and talk to us at 905-684-8331. We are very concerned about your safety and the safety of your children.
- Have you just recently separated and/or have a new relationship in your life?
- Has your partner threatened to commit suicide if you leave?
- Has your partner ever threatened you with a weapon or threatened to kill you?
- Has the violence gotten much worse recently?
- Do you have a restraining order or a supervised access order and your partner does not respect or obey these orders?
- Has your partner recently lost his job, or is suffering from depression?
- If you are separated, does your partner continue to harass you, try to contact you, show up unexpectedly at work, at home or where you are in the community?
- Has your partner tried to choke you?
- Has your partner assaulted you while you were pregnant?
- Is your partner extremely jealous?
- Does your partner have access to or possess firearms?
- Do you fear that your partner will kill you?
Are you living in fear? Need to talk to someone safe? Call us any time of day or night at 905-684-8331.