Gillian's Place is committed to respecting the privacy and protecting the personal information of our employees, clients, members, volunteers, donors and other stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with and recognize maintaining this trust requires we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the information we are given. During the course of our services we provide, fundraising, various projects and other activities, we frequently gather and use personal information. Anyone we collect personal information from should expect it will be carefully protected and any use of or other dealing with this information is subject to consent.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. Exceptions: business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not considered personal information. The information Gillian's Place collects is the minimum amount we need to demonstrate and maintain a service, volunteer, participant, donor or program relationship with you.
- contact and identification information, such as name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, the campaign you contributed to, name of spouse or partner if it was a joint gift
- financial information such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information
- other personal information used for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances (e.g. if you have demonstrated an interest in participating in a fundraising event, we may send you information regarding other fundraising programs and services)
How does Gillian's Place use your personal information?
As explained above, Gillian's Place uses your personal information for fundraising, to process donations, to respond to requests for services and information and to keep you informed about Gillian's Place activities. We may also use the information you provide to us in the following ways:
- to assist in the development of new programs, events and services
- to provide donation recipients with summary or aggregate information about our donations, programs and services
- for internal research purposes
- to develop advertising based on donor preferences
Limits to Privacy
Persons who are clients of our agency are protected by a very strong commitment to confidentiality. However, Gillian's Place cannot guarantee that private and confidential client information will be protected from subpoenas, search or coroner's warrants or from the need to report suspected child abuse as required by legislation in all provinces and territories in Canada. In situations where we believe there is a significant and imminent risk of harm to self or others by a Gillian's Place client, we reserve the right to notify authorities or persons at risk.
We regularly review our privacy practices for our various activities and update our policy.
Further information on privacy and your rights in regard to your personal information may be found on the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at www.privcomm.gc.ca/